A truly Victorian Hotel, the Carey’s Bay Hotel is steeped in history.
The hotel was built on gold money by Port Chalmers Mayor, Henry Dench & designed by renowned Dunedin architect Mr David Ross.
Constructed in 1874 of locally quarried Port Chalmers bluestone, the hotel’s original name was as "The Crescent Family Hotel".
Celebrating it's 140th birthday in 2014, the hotel is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Port Chalmers and is the oldest hotel building in the area.
In 2001 after almost 130 years of being cared for by numerous publicans and experiencing some unsympathetic makeovers the hotel fell into the hands of the late Cushla Martini who together with her husband Barry Colman led a massive restoration project and returned the hotel to its former Victorian glory. The hotel has been owned and cared for by the Kidston family since 2008.
The Hotel has an excellent collection of historic photographs and information on display for public viewing.
Originally called Mansford Town after an early settler William Henning Mansford the bay eventually acquired its name from early English settlers David and Hannah Carey who arrived in Dunedin on "The Magnet" in 1840. They originally lived in Waikouaiti and at the heads of the Otago Harbour before they moved to the bay that bears their name in the early 1850's.
The Carey's were true pioneers and entrepreneurs, David was the first man to un-officially pilot a boat to Dunedin, the first lime-burner, the first brewer, first whisky distiller, first lighter man and stevedore. He was also a gold-miner, hotelier (Blueskin Hotel) and landowner.
Carey's Bay is renowned for its fishing fleet and boat building of which both industries have survived to this present day.